Trivenidevi Bhalotia College has developed an e-learning portal for the smooth conduction of the teaching and learning process during the COVID-19 pandemic from May 2020. Gradually its interface has been changed as per the requirement of the students and faculty members to make it more user-friendly. The entire academic process has been operated through this portal till the reopening of college in physical mode as per government order maintaining all health protocols for the pandemic.
The world saw an unprecedented closure in March, 2020 when the dreaded Covid 19 pandemic struck and jeopardized the normal existence of humanity. Along with other important sectors and financial loss, education at all levels was most affected. Young learners were locked in their homes leading to depression and lack of purpose in their lives. Trivenidevi Bhalotia College did not let this come in the way in the interests of its’ students. It developed an e- learning portal very soon for the smooth conduction of teaching and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic, which became operational from May 2020. The academic activity of the students and teachers were maintained meticulously and regularly such as regular classes, uploading of study materials by the faculty and even cultural activity like Rabindra Jayanti were conducted through the online e-portal. A regular evaluation process was maintained through Multiple Choice format(MCQ) and Assignments. Gradually its interface has been changed as per the requirement of the students and faculty members to make it more user friendly. The entire academic process has been operated through this portal till the reopening of college in physical mode as per government order maintaining all health protocols for the pandemic.
Its’ major features are -
1. Facilities for conducting multiple interactive virtual classes parallely, using the Google Meet platform, was made available which was free and user-friendly as far as the students of the semi-backward rural and coal-belt areas were concerned. For this purpose, a new online routine was crafted by all the Coordinators of the Honours, Program and Postgraduate courses. Students attended these virtual classes on a regular basis. Without the usual “chalk and talk” method of teaching, the faculty now improvised with Power Point Presentations, video clips, photographs to hold the interest of the young learners.
2. This portal was also able to record regular attendance of all classes for students and faculty members which encouraged them to attend to their respective duties. Usually at the end of each month a statement of attendance was recorded and downloaded for necessary information and record.
3. This portal is not only a means of virtual interaction but it also has provision for providing all necessary study materials to students according to their respective Semester syllabi. This strengthened the knowledge base of the students and prepared them for their various assignments and end-semester examinations. As the pandemic did not allow the students to avail the books from the college Library, providing them with study materials was seen as a way of circumventing this problem.
4. The e-portal was used as a very scientific and effective medium of conducting evaluation of students. Evaluation is a regular and ongoing process that helps the teacher to understand a student’s level of assimilation of the portions taught to them. With this aim the e-portal was used to conduct Internal Assessments through the MCQ mode of examination along with self- development reports, projects and home-assignments for descriptive evaluation.
5. The e-portal has been a successful tool to combat the Covid 19 pandemic as it catered to the vast proportions of Trivenidevi Bhalotia College including its 5000+ students and nearly 150 faculty members at the same time for an effective virtual education that may be compared to any offline educational medium.
6. After the reopening of physical classes in college the regular use of this e- learning portal has been dropped. But some large departments (like Commerce Department) are still using this portal for conducting various internal evaluations, as it keeps all documents like the student's name and roll number in a systematic manner. It is still useful in various ways to cater the future need of e-learning of the college. The college website and the e-portal is also an effective medium of communication. All important decisions, college notices, announcements of impending programs, occasions are effectively done on this virtual medium that relieves the students from any confusion.
7. The e-portal was created at a time when no other means of communication was possible. On a large scale it was found that the students/learners of Trivenidevi Bhalotia College were much more academically equipped due to regular virtual classes. They were thus quickly able to revert back to the offline mode without any lag or lacuna.
8. Various departments used the e-portal to conduct Seminars/Webinars to further enrich and empower the students of Trivenidevi Bhalotia College. Great scholars around the world were brought under the umbrella of Webinars that lessened the distance between academics and young learners across the world. Great academicians, whose books and articles they had seen or read, were now only a click away, as the young students could put questions to many International scholars, who readily answered their queries, thereby emboldening the morale of the students from backward areas. They inspired our students with their knowledge and erudition.